Jump Ahead To:
What Are the Best Up and Coming Neighborhoods in Birmingham?
As rent and real estate prices are spiking nationwide, Birmingham is still considered an affordable city, with low property tax and great first-time home-buyer opportunities.
But where in the city are locals and investors focusing their attention? Where should you find your next home or investment property? There are so many factors to consider when considering a move that it can feel overwhelming. That’s why we’ve done the hard work for you (and by way of introduction – we’re Bellhop, you’re friendly local Birmingham movers).
Below, we’ll explore three of Birmingham’s best up-and-coming neighborhoods so you can find the next diamond neighborhood in this city of gems.
This suburban neighborhood is known as one of the best places to live in Alabama. Crestwood’s streets are studded with beautiful Tudors, bungalows, and Craftsman homes built between 1900 and 1940.
Over the past 25 years, newcomers have renovated many of Crestwood’s historic homes. This section of the city sits about 5 miles east of downtown, giving it good access for commuters but enough distance for quiet evenings.
One of the city’s best and most vibrant communities, Crestwood is full of fun places to shop, eat, and enjoy. Along Crestwood Boulevard, you’ll find Crestwood Village featuring unique local stores and restaurants.
Crestwood is a tight community of fun-loving people enjoying everything the neighborhood has to offer.
- Residents frequent the Vineyard Food Market where they can buy wine, cigars, and beer along with their groceries.
- Neighbors gather for local events or spend sunny Saturdays swimming or exercising at Crestwood Park.
- Check out Crestwood Pharmacy and Soda Fountain, which serves interesting beverages ranging from chocolate milkshakes to kombuchas.
- Seasick Records sells rows of vinyl.
- Crestwood Tavern is full of brews and big screens.
- You may fall in love with the Filling Station, a full-service gas station that offers pizza, pasta, and salads at their dog-friendly outdoor space.
Southside’s proximity to the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) is a big part of what makes it so diverse. Wealthy doctors and college students live around the corner from each other, with a beautiful blend of historic homes mixed with more affordable student housing options.
Southside consists of a few smaller communities that are on the rise, like Five Points South and Glen Iris. These areas are packed with local places to eat and drink, along with local unique shops.
The area’s most popular spots are all within walking distance from each other. Visit some of the locals’ favorite eateries like:
- Chez Fonfon
- The Fish Market
- Surin West
- The Golden Temple
- The Essential
Downtown Birmingham is just a five-minute drive away from Southside. This charming area has gained a lot of recent attention for its great amenities and unique character.
Titusville sits adjacent to the popular Glen Iris neighborhood and is 4 miles from Downtown.
Titusville was an important player in Birmingham’s history of Civil Rights. It was one of the first neighborhoods in Birmingham where African Americans were allowed to own residential and commercial property.
Several notable African American residents of Birmingham grew up in Titusville, including Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
Big things are happening in Titusville:
- The Atlanta GA-based data center provider DC BLOX Inc.opened its flagship hub data center in Titusville in 2019.
- The newly renovated University Crossings apartment complex provides safe, affordable housing.
- The Village at Titusville underwent recent construction by the Housing Authority of Birmingham District and now provides over 160 renovated units.
There You Have It: The 5 Best Up and Coming Neighborhoods in Birmingham!
We hope this guide to the best up and coming neighborhoods in Birmingham was helpful, and if you decide to take the plunge, don’t hesitate to reach out to your friends here at Bellhop. We coordinate local and long-distance moving services in Birmingham, and we would love to help.
If you’re interested in possibly moving to other nearby cities, Atlanta might be one that you want to keep on your radar! And don’t forget, we’re always here to help out, wherever you should choose to go!
- The Best Places to Live in Texas, Hands Down - August 21, 2023
- The 5 Best Neighborhoods for Families in Nashville - August 16, 2023
- The Best Places to Live in Washington State (A 2023 Guide) - August 16, 2023